- 1 Biography
- 2 Occupations
- 3 Controversies
- 4 Political connections
- 5 Corporate connections
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Family and early life
Death in 2015
- Omaha World-Herald: President (1966-1986), chairman (1986-1989)
- Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City: Director (1972-1975)
- Peter Kiewit Sons': Director (????-????)
- Williams Companies: Director (1987-????)
- infoUSA: Director (1993-2005)
- World Press Freedom Committee: Chairman (????-1981-????)
- Council on Foreign Relations
- Omaha Chamber of Commerce
- Omaha Country Club
- Augusta National Golf Club - as is Jackson T. Stephens
Main article: Franklin child sex ring
Harold Andersen was part of a child sex ring in Omaha that pandered children to political and business elites. This sex ring, run by Republican powerbroker Larry King, had links to the CIA and was used for blackmail purposes. Andersen was a financial backer of Larry King, and was implicated at King's pedophilic parties along with World-Herald columnist Peter Citron. As victims of the Franklin pedophilia ring came forward, the World-Herald attacked their credibility and pushed for their prosecution. Andersen stepped down as publisher and CEO in 1989 as the Franklin scandal unfolded.
Omaha business community
- John Gottschalk - both were Omaha World-Herald executives at the same time; Gottschalk was recruited by Andersen and was his protege; after Andersen left, Gottschalk continued covering up the Franklin scandal in which Andersen was implicated
- Warren Buffett
- Lawrence E. King
- In 1989, Harold Andersen and his wife were recipients of the Distinguished Nebraskan Award from the Nebraska Society of Washington D.C. (see also Omaha World-Herald, "Nebraskans in D.C. Honor Couple Harold, Marian Andersen Share Award" by David C. Beeder, 1989/10/17)
- Omaha World-Herald, "Former World-Herald Publisher Harold Andersen dies at 92", 2015/12/18
- Andersen appointed to Fed of Kansas City
- Andersen appointed to Williams Companies board
- Andersen was director of infoUSA from 1993 to 2005
- Andersen was chairman of the World Press Freedom Committee in 1981
- Harold Andersen about page (archive)
- International activism (e.g. World Press Freedom Committee)
- Relationship with George H.W. Bush
- Lincoln Journal Star, "Nebraska Society in nation's capital honors Andersens", 1989/10/18: pages 33 - mentions Bush's letter for the Andersens
- John DeCamp, The Franklin Cover-Up, p.177-178: "When Harold Andersen's reputation sagged in the fall of 1989, due to his unconcealed association with Larry King, his friends at the Nebraska Society of D.C. staged an awards dinner in Washington to polish his image. George Bush sent a testimonial letter in praise of the adviser to the U.S. State Department and occasional horseshoes-player at the White House. Bush wrote about Andersen and his wife: "These two outstanding individuals have spent countless hours serving the city of Omaha and the state of Nebraska. Throughout Harold Andersen's career with the Omaha World-Herald, he has made that fine paper an example of journalistic integrity. In addition, he has been a vigorous promoter of efforts to improve the quality of life in his community.""
- Kansas City Star, "Former legislator's angry memo turns sober Nebraska on its ear", 1990/03/17 (excerpted on p.93-94 of The Franklin Cover-Up by John DeCamp): "DeCamp had the audacity to name, among others, Harold Andersen, former publisher of the Omaha World-Herald. DeCamp left the implication that Andersen, an icon of journalism who lunches with President Bush, had a fetish for children. Said one politician, "It was like insulting God.""
- Warren Buffett friendship is mentioned in Roger Lowenstein, Buffett, p.232: "Harold Andersen [publisher of the Omaha World-Herald] is a good friend of mine, and can tell you of my enthusiasm for excellent newspapers."
- Alleged close friendship with Robert Keith Gray
- John DeCamp, The Franklin Cover-Up, p.178: "Like George Bush, Harold Andersen moves in the upper circles of the U.S. intelligence community. The career of another Nebraskan, Robert Keith Gray, illuminates that milieu and why it would be so congenial to a person like Larry King. [...] Said to be Harold Andersen's "closest friend in Washington," Gray is also reportedly a specialist in homosexual blackmail operations for the CIA."
- Involvement in 2003 pipeline negotiation? (archive)
- infoUSA connection
- Rigorous Intuition post connects Andersen to an infoUSA scandal involving the Clintons: "Harold W. Anderson : former publisher Omaha paper: Was executive for INFOUSA from 1993 - 2005 where he did all kinds of stuff in this lengthy document about unauthorized jet trips by Clinton and other officials. http://www.infogroup.com/Content/Pdfs/Stipulation%20of%20Settlement.pdf Geez, Paul Pelosi, Nancy Pelosi's son was also named as an employee of this InfoUSA mess. It won't let me copy and paste....but it's in there."
- Newsmax, "Gupta's InfoUSA Pays Pelosi's Son", 2007/06/04